Hi everyone,

I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question, but I've read most of the posts on the forum and still have this question. I've wanted to be a CRNA for almost 10 years now. Family life at the time prohibited applying to a CRNA program, so I earned my master's degree in the meantime and am currently a nurse practitioner (unlike CRNA programs, you can easily work while going to school during NP programs). However, I still want to be a CRNA, so I am seriously considering ditching my NP job and taking a job in a SICU for a few years so I can get into CRNA school.

My question is, what are the downsides of the job (provided I can get into a school and graduate; I realize it is very competitive)? I imagine issues such as conflicts if the supervising surgeon would tell you to do one thing, and you believe another mode of treatment would be better for the patient, or arrogant surgeons who throw instruments, things like that. Am I on the right track?

I do know that CRNA job satisfaction is high and I would love to apply to school. I just want to have a realistic picture, as I have wanted to do this for so long I really can't imagine a down side.

Thanks so much for any input,

Kim