So, I have a question related to experience.

I have read countless times on the site for the trend away from 1 year minimum ICU experience...I have also read about how the many years of critical care were crucial to an individual's success in the program. This got me to thinking...

I will be going into the start of my program with 2.5 years of high acuity surgical critical care at a large teaching institution, with a background in pre-hospital care.

I am just wondering where the biggest benefit of many years of experience is to anesthesia education. Is it the pharm is that much easier...or more of a clinical boost. I am just guessing here, but I see the answer being, it's used in all aspects of the educational course. I was just looking if people had specific examples...

I get the correlation between the OR and Critical Care skills (Hemodynamic monitoring, vasoactive drugs, how proactivity can go a long way, and decision making on the fly...) But with the vast differences in the way people practice nursing, this topic intrigues me...

The unengaged nurse who has been practicing for 15 years, and goes to work solely for a paycheck, vs. the 2 year ICU nurse who soaks up everything they can vs the rural ICU nurse with 10 years experience but little "day to day" critical patient contact.

Does one have the distinct advantage when learning anesthesia? Is one disadvantaged?

I ask b/c a lot of you out there have lived anesthesia for sometime now... I was just wondering what people have experienced.

All the best!