I should have made the move many years ago but I did not. I turned 40 this year and I am planning to start pre nursing school this year because I want to become a CRNA. My wife is not very supportive, at the moment. It would mean she would have to make some sacrifices that she is not too excited about. She has become comfortable with my current salary and she only works part-time to keep up her skills but not because she has to. She would probably have to work full time so that I could go to school fulltime.

I have done a great deal of research and I am convinced that this is the career for me. I have worked as a financial planner for over 12 years and I have come to hate my job. It pays well, it is a secure job and I work for a great company, but I still hate it. I wife wants me to get my MBA so that I can move into a management role. An MBA is not as impressive as it once was and it does not guarantee me a job. In short, I know that CRNA=job MBA does not. While an MBA does help if you want to move up it is not a guarantee of a good job.

I worked as a career paramedic for six years (I have continued to work part time or volunteer to keep up my skills) and then I left health care to become a financial planner where I have worked for about 12 years. I have also worked as a tech in a level 1 trauma center and in a cardiac surgery step down unit for about 2 years. I have been able to see CRNAs at work numerous times and I was actually taught to intubate by a CRNA in the OR when I did my paramedic rotations. I miss working in health care and I believe that a CRNA is the best health care career available. I have been visiting this site almost daily for about one year, so I have a good idea of what I am getting into.

I am not naive about how difficult and challenging it will be to become CRNA, but I am not deterred. If I were to start pre nursing school this year, A&P, Micro etc. I think I could reasonably hope to be a CRNA in 5-6 years. Does this sound plausible? If so then I could work for from age 45 to about 65 as a CRNA. I do not believe that I am too old or that it is not worth it at my age but I am very interested to hear what others on this forum have to say.

Here is my plan: Knock out all the pre-nursing classes this year, since I have a bachelors degree I would apply to an accelerated nursing program which I could finish in one more year, work in an ICU for 2 years and then apply to a CRNA program. While working as an RN I would get my CCRN. I realize that I would have to maintain a very high GPA while in school (If I want to be considered for ant CRNA program) and I am somewhat concerned about this while in an accelerated nursing program because it will be like drinking from a fire hose.

I am open to positive and negative comments due to my age. If you think it is too late then let me know. Please also comment on my tentative plan that I have outlined above. Also any advice on trying to convince my wife would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob