Personal Statement

I have a strong desire to continue my education in the Masters Program in Nursing at Barry University. Besides having an excellent reputation for providing a high quality education, Barry University is also associated with providing a sound spiritual dimension in its teaching. For someone pursuing an advanced degree in nursing, the combination of both intellectual and spiritual training is congruent with a profession rooted in caring for others.

Thomas Jefferson said: “Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” I have been contributing to the lives of others through my chosen profession in nursing, and I want to keep honing my skills, expanding my knowledge, and developing my sense of service to others.

I am 31 years old and have been working as a registered nurse for the last 6 years. About 4 years ago I decided I wanted to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Since that time I have held that goal in my mind while I prepared myself financially for the sacrifice that going back to school would entail. I am now ready to pursue that goal.

Once I graduate, I am planning to stay in the South Florida community that is my home and work in a hospital setting as a nurse anesthetist. I believe that my background in critical care medicine combined with this advanced degree would make me an asset to my patients, my employer, and my community.

I have the experience and maturity to be a credit to Barry University, and I am serious about pursuing this direction in my career. I will work hard to succeed.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of my application.

Academic Achievements

Graduated high honors (Magna cum Laude), Florida Atlantic University, April 1999

President of Student Nurse’s Association, Jan. 1998 – Dec. 1998

Sigma Theta Tau, 1998

Golden Key Honor Society, 1998

President of Philosophy Club, Broward Community College, 1995-1996

Chess Club, Founding Member, Broward Community College, 1995-1997