Has anyone treated female hysteria lately? My buddy was teling me how his attending was telling the students on rounds about female hysteria and I looked it up on wiki, Fascinating LOL!!! Doctors created the vibrator for relief of female hysteria b/c their arms got too tired from pelvic massage! Imagine these days if a pt came in to be treated for female hysteria? haha i am lmfao! Imagine getting carpal tunnel from pelvic massage? kekeke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

Rachael P. Maines, author of The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteriaz", the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction, has observed that such cases were quite profitable for physicians, since the patients were at no risk of death, but needed constant treatment. The only problem was that physicians did not enjoy the tedious task of vaginal massage (generally referred to as 'pelvic massage'): The technique was difficult for a physician to master and could take hours to achieve "hysterical paroxysm." Referral to midwives, which had been common practice, meant a loss of business for the physician.[1]