So, I'm at PALS recert today. Instructor says, "Yeah, I work in the Anesthesia Dept over at such and such a hospital"

What does that mean?

Now, PALS instructors don't have to be too impressive where I'm from - especially since they mainly press "play" and "stop" for the AHA videos. Paramedics do it, RN's, Pedi RN's, etc.

Also, working in the Anesthesia dept could mean a lot of different things - maybe an Anesthesia tech, maybe an "Anesthesia Nurse" (RN who assists MDA/CRNA specifically...not too many of those" or a CRNA or MDA.

My Instructor? Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.

So I think to myself - why would a CRNA not just say "I'm a CRNA" or, "I'm a nurse anesthetist"? Why be ambiguous?

I've found this to be a theme amongst CRNA's, and I'm not sure why. Are they ashamed to still be nurses? Do they think of themselves as nurses? Why don't they introduce themselves with their title, like most professions do? Especially in a country where what we do is so often intertwined with our identity. Some of the early CRNAs really believed anesthesia to be a different, and essentially separate practice from traditional nursing. (Watchful Care)

It's been discussed here many times how essential and beneficial ICU nursing experience is - and I'll benefit from that experience before going to anesthesia school. However, I given some thought to some of JWK's arguments (and even Josh Lac's) about their preparation. Just for thought - if nursing is essential to anesthesia practice, why don't more CRNA's introduce themselves as CRNA, as opposed to simply "anesthesia"?

Last, I'll throw out there that the CRNA may have been conscious that some RN's are a little bitter towards CRNA's, and perhaps he was trying to be sensitive. That's doubtful - and besides, who's really that sensitive?

I'm pretty ignorant about this. Can someone with experience share some insight with me?