Mmmk, so I know this has been touched on in the past, but I'm asking for a little update here- so here it is straight forward...

-- I've seen numbers of practicing CRNA's ranging from 30,000 - 50,000 in the USA.
-- I've seen salaries ranging from $98,000 - $400,000 a year.
-- I've seen statements like, "The baby boomers will need us through the rest of our lives, our demand will always be high." (baby boomers started in like what... 1947-60?)
-- I've heard people talk about how nurse anesthesia will not be what it is now in 10 years.
-- half of my class wants to be a CRNA (which is I think is retarded since the first thing they mention is money... irritates the hell out of me when I know male nurses making 100,000+ a year and NP's doing even better then that)
-- Me and my close friends, who are a mixed bunch of nursing, medical, pre-med, and LVN's from all different backgrounds and experiences think that nurse anesthesia is about to be on it's "down turn" rather than "up turn". (Since people say, "everything in the medical field has it's cycles)

So back to my main question... Where will nursing anesthesia be in 10 years? I know something is supposed to happen in 2015 with the requirements. Will acceptance into a CRNA program become harder, or more limited? Obviously there is more "competition" now then ever before with people finding out about it. Will there be any kind of "controlled population" of CRNA's? I've checked into 3 schools in Texas their pass rates are 95% or better.... I don't want to hear that "half of those people will never make it"- this is obvious.

I have 2 degrees under my belt already, I'm tired of wasting time. I'm about to be through a BSN-RN program and working again. I've debated the last 2 years over med school or CRNA school since I have the prereqs for both... the only difference to me is years left of school. I thought CRNA would be shorter... but now I'm rethinking the entire anesthesia field period. I meet with some CRNA's and Anesthesiologists in 2 weeks to see what they think, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Sorry for the novel...