first off, i just have to say that challenges and learning never end...
i was on my second full OB rotation this week, and to make a long story short, i was involved in a "crash" C-section.. nothing too emergent, but had to get a move on... well, we have a crash cart with premixed syringe of lido 2% with bicarb and epi... blah blah..
so, i've seen a few, saw the "practice" of it all, and decided to take it upon myself to carry on as i've seen... go into room, give bicitra, push 5ml of syringe via epidural, get IVF in, hang abx, and get ready to roll.. pretty standard.. so, i relay info of what i've done to my CRNA.. ok..
get ready to roll to OR.. i'm ready to push another 5ml, but was told to "hang on"... after case was well under way, he asked me what the important steps we took and should take along the way..
after some discussion, it boiled down to not doing something just because others have done it or do it...
i gave 5ml (in patient's room before OR) without checking BP/HR/Sat/dermatome level.. basically, i went with what i have seen, and 'forgot' about the basics..
all in all, lesson learned...
don't rely on what you have seen, and that it's a must to carry the need to fall back on the basics.. don't forget what got you there and why you are there...
i hope this wasn't all over the place, but i'm sure we all can take a similar message from this...
so, thanks for listening......