This is a description of my first week as a SRNA. I included some of the details I would have wanted to know before I started CRNA School. I hope this helps those of you wondering what school will be like. I know I have been curious for a very long time. Now that my time is here Iím glad I can share it with all of you that are interested.

Tuesday 9- 1150 Anatomy and Physiology for Nurse Anesthesia: Prior to attending my first class I was required to read 3 chapters in Guytonís Medical Physiology Textbook. Material covered was very detailed and specific cellular structure and functions, and DNA and RNA physiology. Class is taught by an MD and consisted of PowerPoint presentations. Iím required to read 4 more chapters before next weekís class.

Wednesday 3-550 Chemistry, Biochemistry and Physics for Nurse Anesthesia: Prior to attending my first day of class I was required to read the first two chapters of The Chemistry of Drugs for Nurse Anesthetists by Kier & Dowd. The first chapter
is a review of gas and diffusion laws and an introduction to some physics concepts such as laminar flow verses turbulent flow of particles thru a tube or cylinder. It also covered the Venturi principle. The second chapter went straight into organic chem. with some very detailed info about different types of isomers such as racemic mixtures and also very detailed information about functional groups. The Class was taught by an MD but a CRNA will be teaching some parts of this course. The first class was just a very basic Chem. review and next week starts the hard stuff. I have two more chapters to read for this course for next week.

Wednesday 6-650 Pharmacology for Nurse Anesthesia: No prior reading for the first class but for next week I have to read 3 chapters. One from the Chemistry of Drugs for Nurse Anesthetists by Kier & Dowd. One from Nurse Anesthesia by Nagelhout and Zaglaniczny. And on from Pharmacology & Physiology in Anesthetic Practice by Stoelting and Hiller. These all consist of the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of different types of anesthesia related drugs. This class is taught by a CRNA. The first class was just an overview of what to expect from course.

Thursday 8:30 to 11:20 Pharmacology for Advanced Practice. I had to read 6 chapters prior to my first class from Pharmacology for the Primary Care Provider. These included an overview of role of primary care provider, prescriptive practices, etc and intro to Pharmacodynamics and Pharmacokinetics and an intro to the cytochrome P450 enzyme system. This class consists of CRNA and ARNP students learning together. The class is taught by a Pharm D. This class seems like itís going to be much more basic compared to my other classes as far as the depth of the material. I have to read 3 chapters for next weekís class.

Thursday 12:30 to 3:20 Nursing Research. I didnít do any of the required reading for this class because I didnít have time after all the reading from the other courses, but I was supposed to read 2 chapters. The class was taught by an ARNP/PhD, it was very laidback consisting of a PowerPoint presentation about research methods and theories (reminded me way too much of undergrad nursing) I donít think this class will be that conceptually difficult just very busy in terms of writing research papers.