I had a high school student and a USAF LPN observing me this week. The student asked some interesting questions.
"Do you ever get enemy soldiers that need surgery?"
This was an important question, because in all of my training this was never a topic we discussed. If the Army is preparing us to go to war, this should be a topic breached and solutions offered.
The first time I experienced the management of an enemy prisoner of war (EPW) was in Serbia in 2002. He admitted he was an enemy and spit at me as I tried to render aid.
The second time was in Afghanistan as a CRNA 8 years later with a combatant that was on the operation that I knew killed American Soldiers. He behaved in exactly the same way. Two theaters, years apart, same behaviors from the patients.
With our knowledge and access to medications it would be easy to simply render one of these enemy combatants into a state where they could not survive. However, when I was trying to keep this patient alive during surgery under enemy attack, I put my own body armor on him during a rocket and mortar barrage. I figured that I had taken the EPW's ability to protect himself away so it was my responsibility to protect him.
These are things that are not written in any standard publications. I only present them so that you have a reference when these situations happen to you.