I've been a member of this board for 4 years now. During this time, I've graduated from nursing school and the ICU continues to elude me.

From my time on this board, I've read thousands of posts, and I've noticed a common theme - that is: SRNAs and CRNAs have worked as a nurse at a Level 1 Trauma Center - usually described as a "Big" teaching hospital. I don't fall into this category - and I don't think I ever will at my current trajectory. What, if any, effect will this have on how PD's view my application?

Since licensing 2 years ago, I've worked med-surg, tele, step-down, and now ER. I view the majority of this experience (with the exception of ER) as wasted in terms of entering nurse anesthesia. Furthermore, all of the hospitals out here in Northern California give preference to nurses with critical care experience for ICU openings - even at the hospital I work. Even more so - the "Big Bad" UC's require 2 years of very specific experience before being considered competitive. I don't have that kind of time - I want to be done with school by the time I'm 40, and I'm 35 now.

To make myself more competitive, I went and got my CCRN, I put myself through a critical care training program, I sat on my departments EBP board and contributed an article... all to no avail. Still no bites - I can't seem to catch a break.

My options are narrowing, if I'm to meet my goal at 40 y/o. I would like to stay in the Bay, but if I were to be able to start in an ICU next week in another state, I would be giving it serious consideration. Time's a' tickin'.

Sage advice, anyone?