Hey everyone. I want to say thank you for creating and contributing to such a vibrant community of anesthesia professionals. Second, I wanted to tell you a bit about myself and what your opinion are of my options.

My initial exposure to healthcare came as a LPN working as an anesthesia technician for 1.5 years. During my time there, I worked closely with both CRNAs and Anesthesiologists, albeit in more of an assistant type role. What I am trying to convey is that I am not looking to working as a CRNA only for the pay (although it helps). I can truly say that I LOVED my experience in anesthesia and have devoted my academic and professional career since in working towards the completion of a NA program.

Since then, I have completed a RN-BSN program, worked 1 year in PCU and then transferred to the CVICU at a large university teaching hospital. As of now, I only have 8 months of experience there so, while I understand that I need to/should spend more time there, I wanted to know what things I can do now to make my application more competitive.

The problem that I am running into (besides lack of time in CVICU) is that my undergrad GPA leaves something to be desired. I started college when I was 18 and had no idea what I wanted to do and therefor mostly goofed off and never went to class. At a result, my cumulative GPA for my BSN is 3.05. My plan at present is to retake a Chemistry + Physics class that I had earned Cs for then look into taking grad level advanced patho and pharmacology to show that I am capable of doing well in grad level courses. (As an aside, does anyone know of an online grad level patho/pharmacology available to non-degree seeking students?)

Finally, I submitted my app for approval to take the CCRN certification and will begin studying for the GRE exam after that.

Thank you all for your time.