So here's the deal. Next month, I will be starting my third semester of an ADN program, and it is absolutely my goal to become a CRNA. Everyone I know locally who is a CRNA tells me to go straight into the ICU after graduating and to forgo doing med-surg nursing for even a day; I also recall there being a thread on this forum a while back in which most posters relayed the same sentiment. I agree with this advice. However, I am sad to say that my instructors are of the stereotypical "old-and-hardened-ADN-professor" persuasion, and as such, they have told all of the students in my class that they strictly do NOT condone the notion of a newly-graduated RN working in the ICU for their first nursing job. In fact, they have told us that, unless we agree to spend a minimum of 6-12 months working as med-surg nurses and can show proof that we have applied for such a position, they will refuse to provide us with an LOR or to complete a reference form.

The thing is, the city I live in has 2 hospital networks; one of those hospital networks pays a few dollars more/hour but requires that newly-licensed RN's provide an LOR. The other hospital pays a few dollars less/hour, but they don't (yet) require anyone who applies for a nursing position to also submit an LOR. Both hospital networks *do* hire new graduates to work in the ICU.

Here is something of a punch line, if you will: I have spoken to the nursing dep't. hiring directors for both hospital networks, and they were very casual and nonchalant when stating that they had no problem with newly-graduated RN's working in the ICU for their first nursing job. But unless my professors go soft towards the end, I will not even be eligible to apply to any of the hospitals that are owned/operated by one of the networks.

So is there anything I can do in this situation other than hope that I get hired to work in an ICU at one of the hospitals controlled by the network that doesn't require LOR's? This really seems to be a sucky situation, but I'm afraid that, unless there's some factor I'm not considering, it's just one of those "life sucks" kinds of rationalizations.