"In the state of Texas, physician supervision is not required to practice. The Board of Nursing for the State of Texas, which regulates CRNAs, say that the practice if anesthesia by CRNAs is the practice of nursing and that CRNAs function independently and do not require supervision from a physician. CRNAs do need an order from a physician for an anesthetic or anesthetic related service. Our previous 1995 Texas legislation passed into law that this "physician order" does not have to be drug, dose, technique of device specific. There is no need for protocols. There is a need for a CRNA to be credentialed through clinical privileging or job description to perform anesthesia, just as there is a need for anesthesiologist to be intuitionally credentialed."

I am puzzled by this statement. Since physician supervision is not required for CRNA practice, then what is "the order" from a physician for an anesthetic or anesthetic related service? Is it like a consent that the physician (eg. the surgeon) agrees for a CRNA to do the anesthesia?

Please correct me if I understood it wrong. Thank you!