I am finishing up my first year in anesthesia school and generally my clinical rotations are going well. I am a 28 year old female, who looks on the younger side and I'm small/thin/sweet looking.

I take constructive criticism well and I'm usually first one to agree. I do need more experience with everything and I'm always looking to improve. What I do have a problem with is being spoken to like I am child. There are some comments people have made to me that they would never make to a 40 yr old man, and those are what I have a problem with. I have a hard time letting those types of comments roll off my back.

So, my question is, is there an appropriate way for me to say, "Dr. SoAndSo, I ask that you speak to me in a respectful manner". I want to avoid using the word "sorry" when there was nothing I did wrong.

Example:
Intubating patient, stated what drugs were given prior to MDA arriving, blade in mouth, cited what structures I was seeing, confirmed placement past cords, asked for stylet out, advancing tube to 20cm, and balloon up. After placement was confirmed the MDA looked at me and with a really nasty tone stated "I'm not blind! You don't have to tell me everything you're doing". He spoke to me like I was his child.

1. Did it affect the patient? - No. 2. Did it affect you? - No. 3. Did it take anymore time out of your day? - No. = Inappropriate

As an ICU nurse I once had the attending physician put his hand in my face and tell me to shut up during rounds. I was updating him about the patient and orders I needed (like restraints, etc).

I have a few other examples, but in those situations, I want to be able to stand up for myself and say what I did was not inappropriate.

Any suggestions? I'm having a hard time just ignoring it.