Medical Discovery News: The case against Propofol
*From Medical Discovery News By*Norbert Herzog and David Niesel.
Most people had never heard of the drug propofol until Michael Jackson died from an overdose. His doctor was recently convicted and sentenced for being reckless when he administered the general anesthetic.
Since Jackson’s death, several scientific papers have begun urging the US Drug Enforcement Administration to regulate the drug. You may already be asking, though – why would anyone use propofol recreationally?*
Within seconds, it acts on a person’s central nervous system, sedating them. A mistake can cause a drop in blood pressure, obstructed airway, respiratory failure, and even death. With such high risks, propofol does seem only useful in medical settings on surgical and intensive care patients who are highly monitored.
Before officials could classify it a controlled substance, they’d have to ask, “Is propofol being abused?” One condition for abuse is first documenting recreational use. Recent scientific … (Continued...)