Breaking Healthcare News February 1, 2012
- UMass Memorial to eliminate up to 900 positionsUMass Memorial Health Care, a five-hospital system based in Worcester, Mass., said it will eliminate hundreds of jobs and sell off some business units in order to avoid ending the current fiscal year with a loss.
- House slated to vote on CLASS Act repealHouse members are scheduled to vote late Wednesday on repealing the Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act, the voluntary long-term-care program included in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- HCA completes acquisition of heart hospitalHCA completed its acquisition of Galichia Heart Hospital, an 82-bed hospital in Wichita, Kan.
- More resources needed for import oversight: HamburgThe Food and Drug Administration needs more resources for oversight of products developed and manufactured overseas, FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret Hamburg said during a House hearing examining the Prescription Drug User Fee Act.
- Lawmakers urged to spare hospitals … (Continued...)