Thread: Accepted to 5 programs... and that's my problem! (Advice Welcomed)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Accepted to 5 programs... and that's my problem! (Advice Welcomed)

Hello All,

Well I've wanted to become a CRNA for many years and finally I built up the courage (and resume) to apply, and now I've been accepted to five different programs. I'll be honest I have no idea which one would be best for me, and each of the five are different in length, cost and structure, but I can certainly see the strengths in each program. So with that being said now it seems that one of my major concerns is the ability to stay employed while in school (part-time employment that is). I presently have a two day a week job where I can sleep and/or have my nights completely available to study etc... So I was wondering if I should even let this weigh in on my decision making process when considering which of the five programs to attend (three of the five I can commute to, the others I would need to relocate)?

I know of people who have managed work, family and even children while attending anesthesia school and have succeeded and went on to become anesthetists, and consider myself to be a person who like them can handle many difficult things at once and excel. I'm not married, nor do I have children so I feel I'm up for the task, but also I've repeatedly been told that anesthesia school is the "most difficult professional endeavor you can undertake", and that you owe it to not only yourself, but also your patient's to focus entirely on your education and training during your time as an SRNA. Also I find myself drawn to programs that have SRNA's taking the same classes (A&P, pharm, etc...) as MD students at the university, because I feel like I have something to prove and that I don't want to miss out on anything, or feel like I'd been given an abridged version of something while in anesthesia school (this only applies to one of the five programs). So is my reasoning valid, or is this more of an pedantic chip on my shoulder, and something I should put behind me? Either way I would be interested in hearing what others think about these matters and any other advice that is pertinent to my dilemma.

Thank you for your time in reading this and take care.
    Last edited by inertia_keeps; 10-06-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: More details
    _inertia_keeps_moving_up_slowly_