I have been accepted into a Masters program that begins in the fall of 2011. It is a 24 month program, so things are going to be compacted. I have not taken any of the 3 core nursing classes that are required as part of the program and every Masters program in this state.

I have had advice to "enjoy the time you have left before you start," "take a vacation," "spend time with your family.." etc., etc. Which sounds very reasonable.

I have also had advice to "get those core classes out of the way, you'll need the extra time," "take the core classes this spring, before you start," and like-minded advice. Which sounds prudent as well.

My gut tells me to spend time with my family while I have it, knowing that classes are going to take away at least 2 days from my family and the free time I have left before I start. However, I don't want to get into the program come August and bomb . I've really only got one shot at this. I usually can handle a heavy course load, I will be moving away to live alone, and school will be my "job" once I start. So no distractions and so forth.

So what does everyone else think? I welcome any comments and well intentioned discussion from anyone willing to offer their 2 or 3 cents worth.