PDA

View Full Version : Low GPA..I dont know what to do...

ppatel650
10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey guys....so i really am passionate about becoming a CRNA but I feel as if I've completely screwed up my life. I graduated with a 2.48 gpa in Biology from a UC in California and now I don't know what to do with my life. My goal is to get into an accelerated BSN program but what the hell are my chances with such a low GPA. I am highly capable of doing well. I went to community college for my first 2 years and had a 4.0 gpa before going to university,,and then i dont know what happened,,its not like the classes were even that hard..i just dont know what on earth happened...low self esteem maybe?
Anyways...what should I do? I dont want to just give up...Someone said I should consider an ADN program but I feel like I would be going backwards by going to university and then adn and of course eventually becoming an RN and going to crna school..but will my undergraduate gpa hinder my chances when I apply to CRNA school even if my ADN grades are really high?? Someone help

caind44
10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
If you want it badly enough, you will do whatever it takes. If all you can get into is an ADN program, then that is what you must do.

pavementpounder
10-01-2009, 07:03 PM
There would be nothing wrong with an ADN program then RN-BSN although the ADN programs are also quite competitive. Sometimes consequences of slacking in school come back and bite us. However, determination goes a long way and doing well in an ADN program is a great way to redeem yourself and show the world what your really made of.

It seems to me this is a no brainer. Talk to some universities about what you could do to enhance your chances of entrance in an accelerated BSN program and then compare that with the ADN route. You can do this if you really want. Good Luck!!!

10-78
10-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Have you looked into retaking some of the courses that you scored the lowest in? That'll help with bringing that GPA up.

Also ADN route may not be to bad. I know several who got their ADN, and then got into the ICU. Did the ADN to BSN while gaining ICU experience. Althought he Accelerated BSN route sounds the quickest - you may be able to capitalize on that ICU experience while attaining the BSN.

Just a couple thoughts.

I am just applying this year. To get to this point, was 6 years in the making.

Goals + some motivation, you can do anything you want to do.

gasaholic
10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
quit whining and study harder. you did poorly, not because of self esteem.

something smells? sdn?

VCUBen
10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree with gasaholic, excuses will never make those grades better. You need to WAKE UP and smell the coffee. Life is passing you by and the only thing no one can take from you is a dream. Always keep that dream alive. Write it down on paper, tape it to your mirror in the bathroom , recite your goal everyday out loud. Do one thing everyday that gets you closer to achieving that goal. Your GPA is low but not so low that you have to sit back on the couch and sulk in what the past was. Get over the past and MAKE THE FUTURE yours. Take your dreams and keep them revelant in your everyday life. Lastly formulate a plan. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Regroup and get your self back out there and Carpe Diem! Being a CRNA is a personal desicion and only to person sitting in your chair can make it for yourself.

EMTRNBSN
10-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey guys....so i really am passionate about becoming a CRNA ........what should I do?

1. Why are you passionate about being a CRNA?
2. Get good grades.

ethernaut
10-02-2009, 02:53 AM
something smells? sdn?
uh, yea

littlefights
10-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Since you have a previous bachelors, you don't absolutely need the BSN. There are about 15 schools that will take an ADN plus non-nursing bachelors. But yeah, suck it up and work harder.

bettermj
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
1. Why are you passionate about being a CRNA?
2. Get good grades.
I'd just recommend you go for the BSN right off. Take whatever prereqs you need to get into clinicals, make A's, and then make A's in clinicals. You may be able to take some of the classes that are offered in clinicals before you actually start clinicals (electives, etc) and make A's in those as well. This will reduce some of the load in clinicals enough for you to make A's. 5 or 6 semesters of solid A's with a few B's will show you have what it takes, and it will bring up your gpa significantly. Retaking a few classes you scored low in is a good idea, like suggested in an earlier post, but I'd focus on doing what it takes to get INTO clinicals first, and sprinkling a few of those repeat classes along the way as long as it doesn't prolong your process. A lot of schools will look at the last few years and take that into consideration. I's also focus on the BSN before the ADN because CRNA school is competitive, and with a lower undergrad GPA, it could make the difference between your application, and someone else with the same story/gpa lines as you, but has the BSN compared to your ADN (yes, even the programs who accept the ADN with another bachelors degree). But don't go into the nursing career unless you can see yourself being happy being a RN and retiring as that. There are no gaurantees you, or anyone else, will get in despite your best efforts. So, if you can't see yourself wiping butt and working long hours as a nurse, then you may want to reconsider. All else aside, your gpa isnt so low that you can't bring it up with a good 2 - 3 years of nursing school.

pavementpounder
10-03-2009, 08:25 PM
quit whining and study harder. you did poorly, not because of self esteem.

something smells? sdn?

I realize this whole "troll" thing happens but to me it is the funniest damn thing. I try to imagine an adult who has nothing better to do with their time than to pose as a student, nurse or whatever and start a thread. I swear it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. What possible benefit is derived from doing that? Freaking nonsense!!

happy
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I graduated with a biology degree and a gpa of 2.56 in 1993. Spent several years doing interesting things before I saw my first flight nurse in action on a scene call and knew that I had to be one. Worked my way through an ADN program (it was shorter than the BSN) with a 3.8 gpa as an EMT-1, busted my hump on a Med Surg floor for 8 months and pestered my way into an ICU night position in 1999. Worked for a year in the ICU and then caught an incredibly lucky break when my mentor there recommended me to her boss for the flight nurse position she was vacating.

After 8 years as a flight nurse, my back hurt from carrying fat people out of houses and mangled wrecks. Started looking for something else that required a high level of bad-assedness and proficiency while preserving the autonomy that I'd enjoyed out in the field. Looked at med-school, took the prereqs, had a come-to-Jesus talk with my wife (she talked, I listened) and scrapped those plans. Accumulated over 60 hours of 4.0 in hard science courses on the way. Watched the local CRNA get an IMPOSSIBLE airway in the ED at 0200 one grim morning and invited him to coffee later that day. Found my new calling.

Applied for ADN-BSN upgrade program and took a full-time position in an ICU (2 hours from my home); both in May of 2008. Kept chief flight nurse position (cut back to 10 days per month there) and worked hard to get a 4.0 in the BSN program- which was no fun because I doubled up the courses in order to be finished in under a year. Studied for the GRE during my copious spare time and crushed it. Earned the respect of my peers in the ICU, my supervisor, and the MDs and got recommendation letters that reflected it.

I've sent out one application so far (two weeks ago) and haven't heard anything back beyond the fact that they've received my stuff. I don't know that I'll get accepted anywhere, so I continue to work hard in the ICU in order to build time, grow my knowledge base, and poach their best and brightest young guns for my flight program. I will keep applying until someone, somewhere lets me in and then I'll bust my hump to be the best CRNA I can be.

My point is this: In lieu of a having key for the door, a hard head and a strong neck will suffice--but only if you want entrance badly enough.

If this is your passion, you need to pursue it.

maliggs
10-04-2009, 05:41 AM
I realize this whole "troll" thing happens but to me it is the funniest damn thing. I try to imagine an adult who has nothing better to do with their time than to pose as a student, nurse or whatever and start a thread. I swear it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. What possible benefit is derived from doing that? Freaking nonsense!!

I KNOW!!!!! I have said the same thing!

kmchugh
10-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Frankly, see this (http://www.nurse-anesthesia.org/showthread.php?t=489) thread.

With the expansion of educational programs, it may not be impossible, but it certainly won't be easy.

trp100329
10-04-2009, 06:07 AM
I've sent out one application so far (two weeks ago) and haven't heard anything back beyond the fact that they've received my stuff. I don't know that I'll get accepted anywhere, so I continue to work hard in the ICU in order to build time, grow my knowledge base, and poach their best and brightest young guns for my flight program. I will keep applying until someone, somewhere lets me in and then I'll bust my hump to be the best CRNA I can be.

My point is this: In lieu of a having key for the door, a hard head and a strong neck will suffice--but only if you want entrance badly enough.

If this is your passion, you need to pursue it.

Yes, yes, and YES. Hard work, determination, and dedication are the ticket, no question. Unless I miss my guess, you'll be getting good news very soon. Continue as you have been and you'll be just fine!

Terri

hillslayer
10-04-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm currently in an anesthesia program in Florida and found your story quite intriguing. You've had an incredible jouney and I found myself recollecting my own journey into anesthesia. Both of our travels share some resemblence, although mine was absent the incredible flight nurse experience (which I do consider to quite a bad ass profession).

In a previous life I was a manager in the business world and can tell you those employees of mine who showed heart and determination were usually promoted to the best positions. They may have selected interesting career choices, but knew what they wanted. Just their commitment and drive were usually enough to get the promotion in my mind. Keep heart and know that in society today, hard work, perserverence and desire are usually quite apparent as the majority of people lack those ideals. An interview board for anesthesia school will certainly see them quite plainly.

Range
10-04-2009, 09:14 AM
low self esteem? huh! that's an old overrated theory! did you notice criminals think very highly of their-selves?

happy
10-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Too right. The first time around, I suffered from low study time, low self-discipline, low initiative, and high beer ingestion. My self esteem was just fine. Hopefully, I'll get to explain to an admissions committee that I was young and stupid and that I've not become old while maintaining stupid.

I talked to an admissions counselor who told me that those old grades wouldn't keep me out because I'd done well since then, but that it would be a good idea to really excel on the GRE and make sure that I had walks-on-water recommendations.

Figure out why you did poorly at the big university and fix that flaw.

Finally, judging by the CRNAs I know, low self-esteem just isn't a trait they possess. This is good, because you have to trust yourself completely when the cacky hits the fan.

dlwhite7
10-04-2009, 12:23 PM
don't sweat it, if you want it bad enough, you will do it. I have a similar story to you, When I first started taking college courses, I was more interested in partying than I was in studying. My early transcripts are riddled with dropped classes and poor grades. By the time I was done, I had something like a 1.3 gpa. A few years later, when I decided to go into nursing, I went to a local CC and re took every class that I had done poorly in, minus a few that were not offered anymore. Long story short, I brought my GPA from 1.3 to 3.8 by the time that I finished my BSN. I took a little longer than most, and I had to work hard, but I turned everything around. I just recently had my first interview, and my second is coming up soon ( I feel really good about my first one though, just waiting to hear) So don't worry about what you have done in the past, you can't change it, just focus on the future and what you need to do in order to reach your goal....and do it.

ppatel650
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey guys....so i really am passionate about becoming a CRNA but I feel as if I've completely screwed up my life. I graduated with a 2.48 gpa in Biology from a UC in California and now I don't know what to do with my life. My goal is to get into an accelerated BSN program but what the hell are my chances with such a low GPA. I am highly capable of doing well. I went to community college for my first 2 years and had a 4.0 gpa before going to university,,and then i dont know what happened,,its not like the classes were even that hard..i just dont know what on earth happened...low self esteem maybe?
Anyways...what should I do? I dont want to just give up...Someone said I should consider an ADN program but I feel like I would be going backwards by going to university and then adn and of course eventually becoming an RN and going to crna school..but will my undergraduate gpa hinder my chances when I apply to CRNA school even if my ADN grades are really high?? Someone help

Thanks for all the replies!! I am just worried about one thing though....even if I get all A's during the ADN program and get great references while working as an RN..what about my 2.48 gpa from the bachelors degree? Should i go back and try raising that gpa before enrolling in the adn program?

pavementpounder
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I am just worried about one thing though....even if I get all A's during the ADN program and get great references while working as an RN..what about my 2.48 gpa from the bachelors degree? Should i go back and try raising that gpa before enrolling in the adn program?

You may have to take some classes to raise your GPA enough just to get in the ADN program. This can be done but it appears your challenge initially will be getting in the ADN program. However, I can't imagine the amount of classes (with A's ) you would have to take to raise that GPA. You have to start talking to advisors at the ADN programs and see what they suggest. Many CRNA schools look at the last 60 credit hours and if you have fixed the issues that caused the low GPA that will show up in the ADN program. I must say though I have no idea what my GPA would be if I was a Biology major but something tells me it wouldn't be stellar. Do what you must to get in the the ADN program then get the BSN and go from there.

GOPRN
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Happy,

Being that your first degree was back in 1993 your biggest challenge is going to be getting into a Nursing program, ADN or BSN. To look on the bright side of things, if you get into an ADN program you could always complete your BSN while gathering your ICU experience.

Good Luck