PDA

View Full Version : How Highly Would You Recommend Your School?

Mully
06-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Being young, mobile, and in a position to be a strong applicant to most any CRNA school around this time next year, I am starting to seriously search the CRNA programs that best interest me throughout the country.

As many in my position have tried, I started with Google searches such as "Best CRNA schools in US". This yielded little more than the US News and World Report's list, which we all know isn't judged by much relevant criteria. Then I turned to the forums. I found similar questions in forum land, but this posed a lack of results as well. It turns out, asking CRNAs what the best CRNA school in the US is isn't very profitable, since most CRNAs have only ever attended one school, and therefore have nothing to compare it to.

So my question is this: How do you feel the school you attended did at preparing you to be an autonomous provider (i.e. lines, blocks, pain mng etc.)? Basically, what school did you attend and would you recommend it for those who desire independent practice?

I can find data like cost, attrition rates, length, degree type etc. online. It's much harder to find this type of information. I think there are a lot of people looking for this as well. I want to attend the right school, not just the one closest to me or that is easy to get into. The information from your experience is valuable, and I thank you for reading this and responding relevantly.

RAYMAN
06-29-2013, 04:36 PM
My old pd got railroaded out by admin.....I can't recommend ASU any longer.

Teillard
06-29-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't know the first thing about my alma mater anymore. I used to judge a school by the hotshot new folks who got hired into my group. My problem now is, I don't work with anyone who is very new at all. The bottom line, at the end of the day, is the individual. Barring a true disaster of a program (and if you are as strong as you say you are, you shouldn't have to worry about that) if you are strong, have a good work ethic, show toughness without complaining, you can do what you want. It is the very rare program that graduates "proficient, full service" providers. MDA or CRNA. Your real training begins with your first job and while a lot of 'big ticket' procedures while in training is helpful it will never be enough and it doesn't mean too much over a 30 year career in the uber motivated individual. Generically speaking, I would choose an established school, run through private hospitals without anesthesia residents. Just my opinion, mind you. It's mostly between your ears.

phamus1
06-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Coming to the tail end of my schooling, I'd say seems like most programs can put together a decent didactic curriculum. Take a close look at clinical rotations. If it's hard to figure out the quality of a clinical site on paper, a good start is to stay away from sites with a MDA residency program. A site that has residents rotating thru is one thing, but a residency program will make you a very little fish swimming in their pond.

JadamR15
06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Best bet for you is to identify a few schools and try to contact graduates from there. You can email me about mine, if you like.

changed1
07-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Samuel Merritt . I'm very happy !

SCmaverick96
07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Any people know or care to comment on University of Texas in Houston?

medic7577
07-03-2013, 04:49 PM
University of Tennessee Health Science Center

It's in Memphis, TN. No competition with residents, all the big cases you want at all clinical sites(9). Only weakness is peripheral nerve blocks, depends on the site and the Anesthesiologist on that particular day. Some sites you get preference, some...not so much. Can't speak enough about the varied clinical experience though. Plenty of peds, CVL's, a-lines, regional, etc...

Small class (15), very pro-active PD., excellent preceptors (for the most part - always a few exceptions).

later,

griff

squeezingthebag
07-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Northeastern University. Very happy. Only downsides are its slightly expensive and it's New England so it's dominated by ACT but the faculty and clinical sites were top notch IMO

etherscreen
07-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Virginia Commonwealth University allows students to rotate through ~ 8-10 clinical sites in Richmond. Only the academic hospital has residents, but while I was there I was involved in hearts, a couple of liver transplants, and other big cases. The rest of the sites are ACT, but they offer a great experience. The variety is a real asset. They also have a distant learning campus in southwest Virginia that offers a more rural clinical experience. A newer northern VA campus opened recently, but I don't know much about it. There is an optional rotation in a pediatric hospital in Ohio.

I was very happy with my didactic and clinical education. If I had to do it over again, I'd go back in an instant.

Carol2012
07-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I graduated from UNF in Jacksonville, FL. DId most of my clinicals at Tampa General Hospital by choice. Shands Jacksonville is the other level one trauma center that we used, but they do have anesthesia residents where TGH does not. Logged almost 1400 cases by the time I finished. Lots of transplant, peds, and difficult airway stuff. My program was a good fit for me. If you are flexible you should be able to find the program that you are best suited for!