PDA

View Full Version : Don't Understand??

say5ah
04-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Had an interview for CRNA school in late March, and today found out that I am wait listed. Don't understand how two applicants that have the same stats, but one has CCRN (that was recommended by the school) and the other one doesn't. How does the other applicant get an acceptance to the school. What is the point of taking the initiative to study for the CCRN, pass it, thinking it would help you for entrance into school when other applicants don't even consider taking the CCRN. Keep in mind that I am talking about two applicants with same years of experience (the same unit), same gre score, same gpa, one has CCRN, one doesn't, ones' interview went really well, ones' interview was told to prepare for next year. Can someone please explain.

say5ah
04-26-2007, 12:10 AM
I look at this website on a weekly, sometimes daily basis and I have gained a lot knowledge from this website about the profession. I am obsessed about becoming a CRNA. I just don't understand how some applicants that really want to do this and are really interested in the profession have to go through what seems like a much more difficult way to get to where thay want to be. I guess I am looking for advice or some words of wisdom, oh well just wanted to vent.

kennysrn
04-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Don't give up! Your persistance will be rewarded in the end. I think sometimes they just want to see what you are made of :nurse:

say5ah
04-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I think you are right, I will not give up, and don't like being told I can't do something (it's highly motivating). How's North Carolina? I am thinking of applying to the 4 schools that admit in Jan. Thanks for the kind words.

MmacFN
04-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Hey Say5ah

I think that there is alot of variation from one interview to the next. Sounds to me like thats where you have to focus for the next round of apps.

There are always variables which are unknown as well.

- did their interview somehow go better?
- did they have better letters of recc (like from someone at the school)

who knows? I would just let it slide off your back and apply to new places since your obviously qualified.

jackson74
04-26-2007, 07:51 AM
The biggest mistake I see people making is focusing too much on one school. I think you are making a good move by applying to 4 schools the next round. BTW, I'm in NC. Its a good place to pursue CRNA school because there are 5 public university programs (i.e inexpensive) and one private program (Duke). Good luck!

MmacFN
04-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Yup jackson is right.

If your looking for number of schools PA has 12. :)

Its a good place to apply b/c there are so many and all within the same general area. So better chance of admission due to multiple apps but still know what part of the country yer moving to!

zippys2k21
04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Yah don't apply in Cali. Three schools that accept about 65 people per year combined. Keep trying. You will get there.

CRNA09
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Had an interview for CRNA school in late March, and today found out that I am wait listed. Don't understand how two applicants that have the same stats, but one has CCRN (that was recommended by the school) and the other one doesn't. How does the other applicant get an acceptance to the school. What is the point of taking the initiative to study for the CCRN, pass it, thinking it would help you for entrance into school when other applicants don't even consider taking the CCRN. Keep in mind that I am talking about two applicants with same years of experience (the same unit), same gre score, same gpa, one has CCRN, one doesn't, ones' interview went really well, ones' interview was told to prepare for next year. Can someone please explain.

Maybe you should meet with an advisor at the school to find out if there is something you could do to make your application look even better next time. People do drop out so maybe you'll get the bump up. My class at Rush starts this summer and people on the list got the bump up in the winter quarter. Maybe some who were accepted will go with other another school. All is not lost. I agree with you- Being told you can't do something is a GREAT MOTIVATOR. Also could you take more prereqs so the load is not so heavy once you start? YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

say5ah
04-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I think you are right jackson74, I did focus too much on one school. I had the requirements memorized and taylored my focus for the past two years on achieving each one so I could be competitive. My next step is to apply to as many schools as possible in the southesast region. My wife is willing to move to any particular place in the southeast (she has been VERY supportive of my, OUR, endeavour). I have family in Hickory, NC, beautiful place, wouldn't mind spending 28 months in the Blue Ridge Mountians. CRNA 09 I'll take your advice and speak with one of the instructors about my application and what I can do to make it look better for the next time. Hey who knows maybe someone will decline a spot and I can be bumped up. All of you SRNAs are in an enviable situation. You have worked hard to get to where you are, and you are learning about a profession that I look forward to joining soon. Thanks for the advice.:beerglass:

rnanes
04-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Hang in there. I too did not get in my first try at a school in Ohio. This provided me with alot if frustration and determination to study hard and prove myself to them. I also applied actively to all 3 school in my area and was ready to interview at all of them with open applications out. I wanted them to know it was not where i went but that i got in that mattered. Its the initials at the end of the 27 months that mattered to me. After the second try(my now director did sit down with me after the first failing and gave me a very succinct list of improvements to be made) . I am now graduating in August with one of the highest gpa in my class and am proud of myself. I know i worked hard and deserve this. You too will feel the same. Also stay strong, never let them see you sweat, and study hard. You never know what is in the cards for your future or those with spots. Maybe one will open...... Julie

757FR
04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Here in Fort Worth, Texas puts out well over 120 CRNA's a year!

TCU and Texas Wesleyan have over 65 students per class.

Check it out.

Keep in mind, 1 out of 25 qualified students get accepted. What that means to me.....if they like you, your in.

THE INTERVIEW is what really counts.

say5ah
04-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Tx, Fl, NC, Al, Tn it doesn't matter at this point, I just want CRNA behind my name. My wife is willing to move so we have some options. It is nice to have someone who is willing to put her life on hold so you can pursue your dreams. We would need to sell the house, and move away from family, but a change in location for 28 months would be a nice change. Especially living in post Katrina La.

MmacFN
04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Say

12 schools in PA. Take a peek :)

757FR
04-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Tx, Fl, NC, Al, Tn it doesn't matter at this point, I just want CRNA behind my name. My wife is willing to move so we have some options. It is nice to have someone who is willing to put her life on hold so you can pursue your dreams. We would need to sell the house, and move away from family, but a change in location for 28 months would be a nice change. Especially living in post Katrina La.

Say,

Pack up the house, dogs, kids, and wife. It's time to move. It is better to pick a school that that fits your personality than a school that is close to you. It is good that your wife is supporting you...because whatever program you attend will tell her that they are going to borrow you for 28 months...they will give you back when they are done.:1244:

Crystal Tucker
05-01-2007, 09:04 PM
DON'T give up. I applied to a the only school in Arkansas because it was close to home and got flat out rejected. I also applied to Allegheny Valley in PA, I have 3 friends that graduated from there and all highly recommanded it so I said why not, spent a $1000.00 to fly out and interview then got on the alternate list. I called the school to find out what number I was and Guess what I start in August. I took my CCRN after i was placed on the alternate list to get ready for next year and Passed them. So good luck and hang in there. Now I have to sell the house and uproot my husband and 3 kids.

757FR
05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Congrats to you....you are going to have the time of your life!!!

Happyin09
05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Do not give up,say5ah!!!!! I am RN,RT,CCRN, you name it.... LOL, and did not get in last year. I am in now class 2009. If this is your dream you have to go after it and make it come true,no matter what!
Good luck!:usa:

KZP, SRNA
05-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Call me corny but I believe that everything happens for a reason. My first interview went awful. They (the director, assistant director and a bunch of seniors) dogged me about how I couldn't do the program w/ a family, or commuting, etc. etc. I have a CCRN and other exemplary factors on my resume that ruled-out qualifications as a reason for their hostility and I don't think I was cocky or rude at all in my interview, that's just not me. However, they were rude and obnoxious, disrespectful to me and treated me like a child and that was just the interview!!! The experience left me w/ a feeling that if that was what anesthesia school was about, I didn't want it after all!

I went to my 2nd school interview I had already scheduled for the next week (different school) under duress but when I got there, it was like night & day from the 1st disaster interview. The faculty were warm, engaging, & welcoming. They were kind and informative and gave me all the information that I needed and asked for. They treated everyone the same way. They were not confrontational like the first group was, and I left the interview knowing (intuitively) that I would be accepted there. I never looked back. I was definitely not meant to be at school #1 and I can tell you that I realize that more and more by every month that passes how lucky I am to be in my program vs. the "bad people"!

Don't give up. You'll end up in a program that is ideal for you and then you'll look back and think "Thank God!" Best of luck!

say5ah
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I think your right KZP everything does happen for a reason and whatever plan he has intended for my wife and I, we are willing to accept. My wife and I have been discussing the possibility of attending several other programs around the southeast, and in some particular areas of interest, like Chicago and Texas. All hope is not lost on this year, I found out that three acceptees turned down the invit for school. In the meantime I will begin the application process for some of the schools in the southeast. Thanks for all the advice.

Medic1RN12
05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey Guys,

I have read the replys and I too have to agree with some things said and maybe add a few things.

First, look at the schools your applying too and make sure you sit down, face to face, with the program director or director of admissions and make sure they know who you are and what your all about. Make sure you come in with well thought out questions and bring a copy of your transcripts from school so these people can quickly review those and give some advice. Often times when 2 qualified candidates walk in at the same time with the same amount of experience and GPAs it comes down to your science scores or a grade in one class over another. Most schools do have a set process for how they decide between 2 people with very simliar applications. The bottom line here is, make sure your face is in front of the person making the decisions about application an let them know how serious you are about the career and profession. Also, it helps sometimes to just be someone the person making admission decisions is comfortable with and has already spoken too and knows is serious about the career path. And for heavens sake, if the person gives you some advice on how to improve your chances, TAKE IT. They do not tell you these things to hear themselves talk. I have seen more than one person get advice from a program director and not do as they were told and then they wonder why they did not get it. Need I say anything more?

Second, make sure you have the requirements for getting admitted and if possible be above those requirements. We CRNAs are a very "anal" lot and rest assured most people do not apply unless they have looked over their entire application and made sure it is as polished and "flawless" as possible. Also, most people make sure if something is there that might not look spectacular, they have some way of explaining it. An example would be if you had a 'C' in a class, most people I know, me included, went back and retook the class for a better grade, that way when I got asked about the 'C' I was able to show I had retook the class and improved upon the course. Another way to help in this area is to have more experience in the ICU area, more is just better in this case and, if you can, make sure it is a unit where invasive lines and ventilators are used routinely.

Third, come to the interview well dressed and PROFESSIONAL. When I was in my last year of school I was allowed to help with interviews and talk to the candidates and answer questions about the program the day they came for interviews. I was AMAZED at how many people came to the interviews in jeans, sweaters, tennis shoes, unkept hair, and just generally in every other way but PROFESSIONAL. Make no mistake about this, when the day of interviews were over and we all sat and talked, how someone presented themselves made a difference. NO ONE wants a person in the career and profession who can not come accross as a PROFESSIONAL. Guys this means a SUIT and TIE. Ladies this means a BUSINESS SUIT and less than moderate amounts of perfume. I say the part about the perfume because one applicant came in and smelled as if she had dove head first into a bucket of cheap perfume; it was over whelming. Bottom line here people, if you would not wear it to board room for a business meeting, then DO NOT wear it to a CRNA interview.

Fourth, think about applying to more than one school, do not focus on one as it is often times hard to get in noe place and might be easier at another. And this next part I say with 100% truth. If you get ACCEPTED to a school, GO TO THAT SCHOOL. I have seen a few people apply to different schools and get accpeted to the school that was least on their list and turn it down thinking they would get another accpetance and then not get accpeted any where else. If your serious about CRNA school you go where the letter says "congratulations." Bottom line here, if The University of Siberia (if it were a real school and accredited) sends you an acceptance letter, you say 'thank you', buy yourself a parka and get a penguin for a pet and take off for school.

I am sure I could give some other advice and all but this should shed a little light on the situation. If you apply to a school and do not get in, take a moment to review things and ask yourself how could you have done better. If your still at a loss, call the program director and ask him or her and see how you could have improved and try again. Stay focused all things happen for a reason.

-Medic1RN12